UsingTheRightCompiler

Lawrence Velázquez larry.velazquez at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 13:36:46 PDT 2012

On Apr 17, 2012, at 4:16 p.m., Jeff Singleton wrote:

> If its not Clang as you suggest, and you think its a linking issue, then it is a Macports problem.  I don't mix my architectures. My macports.conf either says build_arch i386 or it says build_arch x86_64.  I don't add anything to the command line other than the occasional variant.
>
> So how do x86_64 binaries/libraries get into an i386 Prefix and vice versa? Whenever I switch in an effort to troubleshoot a compile issue like this, I *ALWAYS* clean/delete the entire folder, and reinstall Macports before commencing.  So if there is mixed arch linking going on, then Macports is the problem.

It seems pretty clear that some ports are getting their architectures mixed up. Maybe they are ignoring arch settings. We can't even start to figure out what's wrong unless you provide us with the full log from the failed pango build.

> configure.compiler does not work on the command line as stated before.  I have tried it several times, and Clang seems to be preferred and chosen every time despite it. I end up having to edit Portfiles to force the compiler I want to use, and that gets to be to much work to maintain.
>
> All I am asking for is to be able to choose my preferred compiler and not be forced to use whatever Macport devs prefer.  I mean, its not really open if I have to use the compiler you tell me to, is it?

If a particular port currently ignores configure.compiler from the command line, will that port respect configure.compiler if it's set in some conf file somewhere?

vq