OpenAL framework stops kdegames4 upgrade

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 00:55:01 PDT 2012

FYI, KDE Games in KDE 4.9 development is progressively switching to a
new KgSound class in libkdegames.  This class uses OpenAL and libsndfile,
if the latter is found in a version that can load .ogg files, otherwise KgSound
falls back to Phonon (but there has been a history of problems with Phonon
playing short sounds in time with game actions).

In port kdegames4 @4.8.1, I think only KGoldrunner and Granatier are using
OpenAL, but some other games have had performance problems reported
re the latest Phonon and GStreamer backend (e.g. heavy CPU usage and
slow response).  OpenAL is definitely the weapon of choice if you want to
have sounds in KDE Games.

On 19/04/2012, at 1:22 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>> For the past several upgrades the only way to get kdegames4 to successfully install has been to remove the OpenAL folder from my /Library/Frameworks folder while it builds.  As a result I do not have sound in any of the kdegames.
>>
>> I tried looking through the old ticket reports, but can not find any explanation.
>>
>> It is not a critical problem, but I would appreciate if someone could tell me if this is fixable and how to do so.
>
> It's fixable in the sense that eventually kdegames4 will be instructed to ignore your /Library frameworks.

Cheers, Ian W.