Override default Application install location?

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Fri Apr 20 12:14:58 PDT 2012

imgeorgelin wrote:

> I had been a regular, happy user until I tried to install Virtualbox on my
> iMac running 10.7.3 Lion.
>
> The installation of VB itself via Macports went smoothly.  But when I tried
> to install an extension pack downloaded from VB site, I failed because
> apparently the extension tried to reference a library stored in
> /Applications/VirtualBox.app/... but by default, Macports installed it in
> /Applications/Macports/VirtualBox.app/....  So my question is:
>
> Can I override the default, say, append something lime
> "--with-application-dir=..." after the usual "port install virtualbox", so
> that the final app would be installed in /Applications/?
>
> I don't want to change the global settings in macports.conf.  And the
> extension pack is not a port in macports otherwise it would have worked.
>
> Thanks!

You can just
++ either move it
++ copy it
to /Applications after the install

You can also edit the portfile and insert a single line that redefines
the default Aplicationsdir :

nano $(port file virtualbox)

insert this line somewhere in the start of the file:
applications_dir        /Applications

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
København N ; Danmark ; Europa