virtualbox (was: Re: Override default Application install location?)

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Fri Apr 20 12:38:36 PDT 2012

On Apr 19, 2012, at 9:42 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2012, at 21:50, imgeorgelin wrote:
>

>> I had been a regular, happy user until I tried to install Virtualbox on my
>> iMac running 10.7.3 Lion.
>>
>> The installation of VB itself via Macports went smoothly.  But when I tried
>> to install an extension pack downloaded from VB site, I failed because
>> apparently the extension tried to reference a library stored in
>> /Applications/VirtualBox.app/... but by default, Macports installed it in
>> /Applications/Macports/VirtualBox.app/....  So my question is:
>>
>> Can I override the default, say, append something lime
>> "--with-application-dir=..." after the usual "port install virtualbox", so
>> that the final app would be installed in /Applications/?
>>
>> I don't want to change the global settings in macports.conf.  And the
>> extension pack is not a port in macports otherwise it would have worked.
>
> When you say "an extension pack" to you mean "the extension pack"? I thought there was only one.
>
> I suggest you wait until we add the virtualbox extension pack to MacPorts:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/31180

The virtualbox-extension-pack port has been added.

There seems to be build issues with virtualbox if java is not present. This effects the buildbot for Lion.
For now I disabled java for Lion+.
    if {${os.major} > 10} {
        configure.args-append   --disable-java
    }

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualBox
	Public API (Java, Python, SOAP, XPCOM) to control VM configuration and execution

Should we add "--disable-java --disable-python" for all OS versions? The port currently has no dependency on python.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)