f2c

Phil Dobbin phildobbin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 13:30:06 PDT 2012

On 21/04/2012 19:49, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2012, at 08:14, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to use f2c to compile ratfor but there's no fort77
>> script so I'm getting:
>>
>> `checking for f2c... f2c checking whether the Fortran 77 compiler
>> (f2c  ) works... no configure: error: installation or
>> configuration problem: Fortran 77 compiler cannot create
>> executables.`
>>
>> Any workarounds to this or shall I just go grab a tarball?
>

> Can you give a reproduction recipe? What files did you download and
> what commands did you run to try to compile ratfor with f2c?

As I understand it, f2c is a fortran77-to-c source code translator
which obviates the need for a Fortran compiler but should contain a
fort77 script in order to function correctly.

I installed ratfor on Debian using apt-get & so I checked the package
list & then went here:

<http://www.webmo.net/support/fortran_osx.html>

& grabbed a copy of g77 & then it installed fine. There was no ratfor
port but I thought I'd grab f2c for which there was a port as my build
set-up is based almost wholly on the ports in /opt/local minus Apple's
dev tools of course.

I'm guessing the problem was the fort77 script but of course may be
completely wrong...

Cheers,

  Phil.

- --