How to really uninstall a failed port?

Thomas trg818 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 05:28:04 PDT 2012

Dear list,
I have tried for hours to install py26-pyqt4 and am now stuck with the
failure to build qt4-mac. After hours of compiling and filling 4 (!) GB on
my disk, this is where it fails:

:debug:main Skipping completed org.macports.build (qt4-mac)
:debug:main Privilege de-escalation not attempted as not running as root.
:debug:main Skipping completed org.macports.destroot (qt4-mac)
:debug:main Privilege de-escalation not attempted as not running as root.
:debug:install install phase started at Sun Apr 22 13:32:55 CEST 2012
:notice:install --->  Installing qt4-mac @4.7.4_1+quartz
:debug:install Can't run install on this port without elevated privileges.
Escal
ating privileges back to root.
:debug:install euid changed to: 0. egid changed to: 0.
:debug:install Executing org.macports.install (qt4-mac)
:error:install Target org.macports.install returned:
gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
/usr/bin/tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
/usr/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
:debug:install Backtrace:
gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
/usr/bin/tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
/usr/bin/tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
[...]

I don't understand what the issue with "root privilege" is - I did of
course run port with sudo. To make things worse, it seems that I can't even
remove the failed compile with
sudo port clean --all qt4-mac
or even
sudo port clean --all py26-pyqt4
in order to start from scratch. The error remains the same as given above.
So, what can I do, and in particular, how can I really remove the failed
compile and start over?
System info: Mac OS 10.5.8, Xcode 3.1, macports is up to date.
Thanks,
Thomas