tcsh --> bash

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 08:22:40 PDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM, M. Daniel Becque <mdbecque at gmail.com>wrote:

> When I installed Macports my machine was configured with tcsh as the
> default shell [it's a G4 mac running 10.4]. I want to change the default
> shell to bash.
> Easy to do but my question is what do I need to change in my Macports
> setup? It looks like I'll need to add the Macports path to my ~/.profile,
> but is there anything else I am missing?

When MacPorts installed, it just dumped the statement:

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH

to my ~/.bash_profile.  Since everything else should be shell-independent,
I don't think there's anything else you need.

If you're making the switch to bash, though, I highly recommend installing
the "bash-completion" port and putting the line:

test -f /opt/local/etc/bash_completion && . /opt/local/etc/bash_completion

in your ~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile.  Bash-completion is awesome, and they
have completion for just about anything you could want :) (git, ssh, rsync,
make, configure, cvs, cups, bip2, autoconf, coreutils--just to name a few.
One of my machines claims to have over 200 available bash completion
options).

All the best,
Jason

--