Can I install jpeg6b and jpeg at the same time?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Apr 24 09:01:55 PDT 2012

On Apr 24, 2012, at 10:57, Thomas wrote:

> on my system I have the current version of the JPEG library installed, i.e., jpeg (jpeg8d), and it's activated and seems to work fine; the same is true for openjpeg, as far as I can tell.

Great.

> However, a Python program I have compiled (Frescobaldi, a GUI frontend for the musical typesetter Lilypond) requires the module popplerqt4, which in turn seems to call an older version of the JPEG library, because when I test if popplerqt4 can be imported in a Python shell, I get this error message:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/popplerqt4.so, 2): Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib
>   Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/libopenjpeg.1.dylib
>   Reason: image not found

What port installed /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/lib/python2.6/site-packages/popplerqt4.so? Nothing in MacPorts should be installing into /Library/Frameworks (unless you've changed your frameworks_dir to /Library/Frameworks—have you?)

> I assume the older port jpeg6b would provide libjpeg.62.dylib, but when I try to install it, this happens:
> sudo port install jpeg6b
> Password:
> --->  Configuring jpeg6b
> Error: jpeg6b has been renamed to jpeg. Please install jpeg instead.
> Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: obsolete port
> Log for jpeg6b is at: /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_graphics_jpeg6b/jpeg6b/main.log
>
> Hence my question is: what do I have to do to make both versions live peacefully side-by-side, and is jpeg6b really the right port to use?

The jpeg6b port was replaced by the jpeg port a long time ago; it's gone.

The openjpeg port, which installed /opt/local/lib/libopenjpeg.1.dylib, should be rebuilt so that it uses the jpeg port instead.

sudo port -n upgrade --force openjpeg