PostgreSQL 91 does not start automatically

Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 13:38:26 PDT 2012

Ok... some findings below.

On Apr 25, 2012, at 2:53 PM, Puneet Kishor wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2012, at 2:38 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>
>>> If there's absolutely nothing, we need to find out if his launchd plists are even "installed" to /Library/LaunchDaemons. I think MacPorts symlinks them into there, right?
>>
>> But since they say already loaded, they've got to be there and something is colliding.
>>
>> System load should reveal all...
>>

> I am going to restart everything later today and watch all the logs and report back with what I find. Many thanks all.

I restarted the machine, and this time, well, this time Postgres came up. A bit of a relief. The last time may have been some reason that I am unable to pinpoint.

However, apache2 did not start. I got the following message in my system.log

	Apr 25 15:21:35 mumbai org.macports.apache2[102]: Syntax error on line 40 of /opt/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:

Here is line 40 in /opt/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf

	37-# prevent Apache from glomming onto all bound IP addresses.
	38-#
	39-#Listen 12.34.56.78:80
	40:Listen mumbai.geology.wisc.edu:80
	41-
	42-#
	43-# Dynamic Shared Object (DSO) Support
	44-#

Regardless, I type the following on the command line

	$ which httpd
	/opt/local/apache2/bin/httpd
	$ httpd -t
	Syntax OK
	$ sudo apachectl start

and, it starts fine. So, for now, Pg is behaving correctly, but apache2 refuses to start automatically. Searching for apache2 in system.log I get the following

	punkish at mumbai /var/log$grep apache2 system.log
	Apr 25 15:21:35 mumbai org.macports.apache2[102]: [Wed Apr 25 15:21:35 2012] [crit] (OS 1)Unknown host: alloc_listener: failed to set up sockaddr for mumbai.geology.wisc.edu
	Apr 25 15:21:35 mumbai org.macports.apache2[102]: Syntax error on line 40 of /opt/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf:
	Apr 25 15:21:35 mumbai org.macports.apache2[102]: Listen setup failed

Suggestions?

--
Puneet Kishor