strange gfortran problem

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 21:22:06 PDT 2012

The problem is actually with MacPorts 4.3.2. A little more accurately, this is NOT an actual bug. The problem is that the behavior you are seeing is allowed under the Fortran standard -- that's why selected_int_kind exists in the first place.

I had to issue a patch for a piece of software that used selected_real_kind(), but assumed that it would always return 8 as used. From all the searching I did, I found that this behavior was perfectly within the Fortran standard, and that we had to become compliant with it.

My suggestion is to avoid roll-your-own precision to avoid problems like this. If you need to use it, make sure you always use the enquiry intrinsics (selected_real_kind and selected_int_kind), and never assume it will take a particular value.

To reiterate, this behavior ONLY arose when I built all my ports with Xcode 4.3.2, and never with older Xcodes (that is, if I built gcc4x with Xcode 4.3.2, it would happen regardless of which FCC I built).

I agree the behavior differs in my experiences with Linux, but there are other OSes and compilers that behave differently as well (or so I read).

HTH,
Jason

--
Jason M. Swails