Help with conjoined apaches

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Sat Apr 28 18:36:38 PDT 2012

> This gets stranger and stranger. Ports says apache2 isn't installed. And I have no mysql command anymore. This was all working 2 weeks ago. It appears that somehow it got trashed. Should I start again with 'ports install' apache2 and mysql5?

That's pretty bizarre: but yes you can definitely reinstall. When installing again, it might say there are files that already exist. If that happens (and I'm pretty sure it will) you'll have to add the -f flag to ports, to move those files out of the way.

sudo port -f install apache2

When these files are moved, they're all given a suffix. You can use the find command to locate all files sharing this name and remove them.

find /opt/local -type f -name "*.mp_XXXXXXXXXX" -print -delete

Now, keep in mind the pattern MacPorts reports is what you need to put in the command, or you can be more cavalier and just use "*.mp_*", which is obviously risky.

You might also want to review `port installed`, just in case something else is amiss.