mysql problem with socket

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 16:23:11 PDT 2012

On Apr 29, 2012, at 6:07 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Are you sure the mysql that's being started is the one MacPorts installed, and not the one you installed in /usr/local? How are you starting / stopping mysql?

The above is possibly the commonest mistake, and it is easy to check and correct.

One can easily determine which program is actually running by typing the following

	$ ps -ax | grep mysql

For example, if I run the above for postgres (I don't have mysql running to demonstrate that), I get

	$ps -ax | grep postgres
61697 ??         0:00.11 /opt/local/bin/daemondo --label=postgresql91-server --start-cmd /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.postgresql91-server/postgresql91-server.wrapper start ; --stop-cmd /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.postgresql91-server/postgresql91-server.wrapper stop ; --restart-cmd /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.postgresql91-server/postgresql91-server.wrapper restart ; --pid=none
62940 ttys000    0:00.00 grep postgres

As is visible, it is the postgres version installed by MacPorts that is running. MacPorts installs *everything* under /opt/local and nothing anywhere else.

The next thing is to figure out which program will launch if you just type it on the command line. The easiest way to determine that is to type

	$ which <program name>

For example, with `pg_ctl` I get

	$which pg_ctl
	/opt/local/lib/postgresql91/bin/pg_ctl

Also, check your path by typing the following

	$echo $PATH

That too will indicate which program will be launched if it were fired without explicitly specifying the path.

--
Puneet Kishor