Monitoring Internet Usage

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Wed Aug 1 11:44:03 PDT 2012

At 1:44 PM -0400 8/1/12, Arno Hautala wrote:
>On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht
><pixilla at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>>  Have you looked at vnstat?
>
>That would show bandwidth usage, but not on a per app basis.
>
>Ideally, this would be something like nethogs [1], but that's not
>compatible with OS X.
>
>LittleSnitch [2] and Rubbernet [3] are options that show these stats,
>but I'm not sure if you can monitor their stats from across the
>network. If you're running one of the Lions on your machine and his,
>you could log in as a concurrent user to your sons machine to monitor
>these stats.
>
>There's also directly asking him. Let him know that the usage is an
>issue, you're looking into it, and he'll be responsible for any
>overages that he causes.
>
>[1]: http://nethogs.sourceforge.net/
>[2]: http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html
>[3]: http://rubbernetapp.com/

Thanks for the pointers.  I'd never heard of Rubbernet before but it
is fairly close to what I think I want.  Now, if only it were free...
;)

BTW, I've discussed this many times with my son.  It came as a
surprise to me just how much of our internet traffic he generates.
(He often blames his sister for the videos she likes to watch.)
Right now, I don't know how much bandwidth each activity uses (ie
Skype v. World of Warcraft ... etc).  It would be much simpler if I
could say "Activity X used Y GB per week--you've got to cut down".

Craig