Can't connect to local MySQL server error

Rodolfo Aramayo raramayo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 01:49:19 PDT 2012

Answers below...

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 3:17 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2012, at 02:05, Rodolfo Aramayo <raramayo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have followed the instructions outlined in the document:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MAMP
>>
>> And I can see my test web site and the output of phpinfo.php but I am
>> consistently getting the following error:
>>
>> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
>> '/opt/local/var/run/mysql5/mysqld.sock' (2)
>>
>> which I have tried to correct unsuccessfully. Both mysql and php are
>> pointing to the same directory: /opt/local/var/run/mysql5/
>
> You are trying to start the MySQL server provided by the mysql5 / mysql5-server ports, yes?

Yes

> Is the server running? that is, is the mysqld process running, as seen using "ps" or Activity Monitor?

Yes

> If not, does the MySQL log file say anything about why that is?

No socket was being created.

Now I had a "weird" experience:

I had installed:
mysql55
mysql55-server
mysql_select

In addition to the
mysql5 and
mysql55-server

I wasn't detecting this because the way "port search" was acting

For example if I now search, I get:

>port installed *mysql*
None of the specified ports are installed.

  p5.12-class-dbi-mysql @1.0.0_3 (active)
  p5.12-datetime-format-mysql @0.40.0_3 (active)
  p5.12-dbd-mysql @4.20.0_1+mysql5 (active)
  php5-mysql @5.3.15_0+mysqlnd (active)

  mysql5 @5.1.63_0 (active)
  mysql5-server @5.1.63_0 (active)
  p5.12-class-dbi-mysql @1.0.0_3 (active)
  p5.12-datetime-format-mysql @0.40.0_3 (active)
  p5.12-dbd-mysql @4.20.0_1+mysql5 (active)
  php5-mysql @5.3.15_0+mysqlnd (active)

Note how this last one search is more complete
I was using the command" >port installed *mysql*" before thus failing
to detect that I had installed extra mysql ports

I uninstalled mysql55, mysql55-server, mysql_ select AND uninstalled
mysql5-server
I then re-installed mysql5-server, re-booted and got the socket live

But for a while I was under the impression the presence of the other
mysql ports was interfering with the generation of the socket??

So things are working now

I need to learn where to place my wordpress (which is not up-to-date
in MacPorts) and mantis installations now and learn where the mysql
databases live inside the ports system which is something I was very
familiar using the Apple standard system. Importantly I need to learn
how not to kill the databases during upgrades

THANKS

--R