wireshark fails to start

Kok-Yong Tan ktan at realityartisans.com
Mon Aug 6 16:52:35 PDT 2012

Like Myron, I finally built xorg-server (along with wireshark) from
scratch using gcc-4.2 instead of gcc-4.0 by totally dumping /opt with
"sudo rm -rf /opt" and reinstalling from .dmg.  Now, wireshark 1.8 now
works without X11 kicking its legs out from under it (i.e., X11 used to
crash, taking wireshark along with it).  But starting up wireshark
requires a very klunky workflow:

I now have to start Terminal, then do a "sudo xinit" and then when an
xterm window starts up in the top left of my screen, enter "wireshark"
to start up wireshark.   So, it appears that my original problem with
wireshark and X11 was because I was using the X11 that Apple provided
and it somehow clashed with the new version 1.8 of wireshark.

I used to have a nice Finder-based app shell named "Wireshark.app" which
allowed me to hide a script within it that basically issued this command:

/usr/bin/open -a /Applications/Utilities/X11.app /opt/local/bin/wireshark

And double-clicking on Wireshark.app in Finder would start wireshark
within the X11 located in /Applications/Utilities.  I can't seem to swap
it out with this:

/usr/bin/open -a /Applications/MacPorts/X11.app /opt/local/bin/wireshark

Any pointers?