selfupdate failure

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 7 01:15:16 PDT 2012

On Aug 7, 2012, at 01:30, Jamie Paul Griffin <jamie at kode5.net> wrote:

>>> checking Xcode location... /Developer
>>> checking Xcode version… 3.2.6
>>
>> Something doesn't match up here. Something still thinks you have Xcode 3.2.6. /Developer is where Xcode stuff was located with Xcode 3.2.6 but not with 4.4. Sounds like you need to follow Apple's instructions for completely uninstalling Xcode 3.2.6. It's near the end of the About Xcode PDF. I can't find an Apple link for that but it's this:
>>
>> http://groups.ascd.org/resource/documents/122959-AboutXcode.pdf
>>
>> Then install the new Xcode's command line tools, use xcode-select to select the new Xcode, and accept the new Xcode's license agreement:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#xcode43
>>

> The OP shoudn't need to do that, when I upgraded mine, I started the new Xcode.app and it automatically provides options to remove the older versions; then, you can go to prefences -> ... -> Downloads and install the command-line tools as has been explained a number of times on this list in the last week. Of course, it's possible that this automated removalprocess didn't happen for some reason.

The reason I suggested manually uninstalling the old Xcode is that that is what I had to do on my system. I migrated to a Lion system from a Snow Leopard system, and Xcode 3.2.6 was migrated over too. Then when I installed Xcode 4.3 via the Mac App Store, it did not automatically uninstall the old Snow Leopard Xcode, even after opening Xcode.app. I even unintentionally opened the old Xcode 3.2.6 app after that, and was confused why Xcode 4 features had gone missing.