OT upgrade

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 19:05:54 PDT 2012

On 08/08/2012, at 11:19 AM, James Linder wrote:
> I'm using snow-leopard and everything works perfectly: gnome-terminal, wireshark, gimp, wget, latex ...
> After watching the woes unfold here why would I upgrade, what does lion offer that I don't have? (facebook connectivity etc is rather like a lead balloon)

One thing I find extremely useful in Lion is multiple desktops.  This was available
formerly as "areas", but rather half-baked compared to my previous multi-desktop
setup on KDE and Linux.

On Lion, multi-desktop is much better.  I can keep programming, course preparation,
personal finance, email and browsing on separate desktops and quickly swipe the
trackpad with three fingers to do a switch whenever something comes up (e.g. a phone
call where I need to look up some piece of information).  Or I can set selected apps in
the dock to switch desktops automatically when clicked.

Now I must go and do a bank transfer, browse some Qt documentation and then
resume coding … :-)

Cheers, Ian W.