with x window installed on mountain lion

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Aug 12 02:02:45 PDT 2012

On Aug 11, 2012, at 09:11, Fish Kungfu <fish.kungfu at yandex.ru> wrote:

> 11.08.2012, 08:39, "Michal Parchet" <mparchet at sunrise.ch>:
>>
>> On mountain lion, there is no x11 installed by default. I tried to installed xfree8  then xorg-server but without succes (problem with xfree86 ( applying patches to XFree86) or Building xinit)
>>
>> Why ?

XFree86 in MacPorts is old and out of date; probably nobody has tested it in MacPorts for years. As I said in the ticket you filed about this a few days ago [1], X11 in OS X has been based on Xorg (not XFree86) since Leopard. We should probably just remove the XFree86 port since I don't know of any reason why anyone would prefer to use it over Xorg.

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/35575

>> With x window système port or other can I install on mountain lion (10.8) ?
>
> You need to install XQuartz.
>
> http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

As shown on our install page [2], XQuartz is just one way to get X11. The other method you can use on Mountain Lion is installing the xorg-server port, which is what I did, since I like managing as much of my software as possible using MacPorts. Michael, what happened when you tried installing the xorg-server port? That should have worked.

[2] https://www.macports.org/install.php#requirements