quartz/x11 conflict

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 16:16:17 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Michaël Parchet <mparchet at sunrise.ch>wrote:
>
>> Usually, xquartz should be install only after deactivate x11 on mac os
>> prior to monition lion because x11 is generally installed by default in
>> thees mac os versions
>>

> On anything more recent than Leopard, XQuartz coexists with the system X11
> and will replace the system X11 in launchd on install.  (The X11-Users FAQ
> has instructions for choosing which X11 launchd will run; this includes
> MacPorts' xorg-server.)

Something interesting I discovered a few days ago which surprised me:

1.) I purchased Mountain Lion from the App store on a Mac I had running
Lion 10.7.4. The Mountain Lion installer app downloaded just fine to
/Applications on my Mac. Before running the installer app, however, I
extracted the generic InstallESD.dmg (quite a few people with blogs have
described how to do this) and saved it on a separate disc for future use.

2.) I later used InstallESD.dmg to create a new instance of Mountain Lion
on a freshly erased disc partition (hence, I was *not* upgrading a previous
Lion or Snow Leopard system).

3.) After creating this new instance of Mountain Lion, I was bewildered
when I saw in the Launchpad an X11 icon. I double clicked the X11 icon and
an alert panel asked me if I wanted to install it (I decided not to because
I wanted to understand why X11 as an install option was even there to begin
with). It strikes me as if some of Apple's apps that were previously
available in, say, Lion (but which have allegedly been discontinued in
Mountain Lion) can still be downloaded and installed optionally (even
though they may not be packaged internally with the installer apps).

The above is weird because I didn't see this behavior on a MacBook Air (on
that Air, I also did *not* install from the InstallESD.dmg and I also
*upgraded* a previous Lion system on that Air). So on the Air, I installed
separately XQuartz.

What should I do on the Mac with Mountain Lion installed freshly
from InstallESD.dmg? Should I go ahead and try to download X11 or just
ignore it and instead install XQuartz like I did on the Air?

Thank you,

-TM