macport wxt problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 27 01:00:21 PDT 2012

On Aug 27, 2012, at 02:39, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

>> It hangs up for 3 hours in the stage of "Building qt4-mac-devel". not sure what is missed or it is normal?
>
> It's probably normal. Qt builds for a very very very long time and it
> usually helps to install the default variant from binary packages

Yes, Qt takes an extraordinary amount of time to build. You must be patient. On my single-core 466MHz Power Mac G4 qt4-mac takes over 24 hours to build. On my quad-core 2.6 GHz MacBook Pro it takes under 30 minutes. That's without the universal variant; with the universal variant, it has to build everything for each architecture, so multiply this time by the number of architectures you have listed in the universal_archs line in macports.conf.

> (I'm
> not sure if +universal variant also exists as pre-compiled and I'm not
> sure if binary packages exist for 10.6).

You can answer these questions by looking at the directory listing:

http://packages.macports.org/qt4-mac-devel/

Yes, packages are available for 10.6. No, universal builds are not produced (unless there's a port requiring a 32-bit build that declares a dependency on it).