Backups

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 29 23:54:04 PDT 2012

On Aug 29, 2012, at 18:27, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> So if I `sudo cp -R /opt/local/macports` to a suitable location

There's no such directory in a standard MacPorts install... There is /opt/local/etc/macports, /opt/local/share/macports, and /opt/local/var/macports.

> & use
> the ports installed file (I regularly take a snapshot of ports installed
> via `port -qv installed > myports.txt`) that should give me a head start
> in case alarm bells start to toll?

By saving the list of installed ports, should your MacPorts installation become so garbled that the "port" command can no longer run or can no longer read the registry of installed ports, you could nuke your MacPorts install using the uninstallation instructions in the Guide, and then use the reinstallation script on the Migration page to reinstall the ports based on the myports.txt file.

> I'll also study the migration page although Snow Leopard is where I get
> off the train as far as OS X is concerned.

I mentioned the Migration page not because you're migrating between OS releases but because it discusses how to reinstall a set of ports, which is what you asked how to do.