obstack.h

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Feb 10 15:22:36 PST 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 17:18, John B Brown wrote:

>> I am on Snow Leopard and I have gcc43, gcc44, gcc45, gcc46 and gcc47 successfully installed. My understanding is that gcc42 is too old to be successfully compiled on Snow Leopard anymore.
>
> 	How droll! The command gcc --version returns i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1, and other stuff. Oh, well.

That is true, the compiler Apple includes with Xcode on Snow Leopard is Apple's special version of gcc 4.2.1. However, apparently there are some problems building a vanilla version of gcc 4.2 on Snow Leopard, such that doing so was disabled in the port in order to avoid confusion and wasted time on failed builds.

> 	I've discovered that gcc44 downloads in pieces, but leaves out testsuite and ada. Might I fool the port build by installing those two missing parts in the distfiles/gcc44/ directory after a fetch but before building? I've interrupted the compile and will remove the build parts if that works.

If you wanted ada support, you would presumably have to modify the portfile to add that. I'm not familiar with building ada support in gcc, nor with the testsuite you mentioned, so I don't know if there are any good reasons why the port does not already do this. You could ask the port's maintainer.