Debian-like rename utility - available via MacPorts?

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Wed Feb 22 22:07:25 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 03:24:44AM +0000, Sam Kuper wrote:
> One slight quibble: given that the script seems normally to be invoked
> with "rename" rather than "file-rename" (even the synopsis in the man
> page I get from entering "man file-rename" seems to expect the script
> to be invoked with "rename" rather than "file-rename"!), I think it
> might be better if the MacPorts port follows this convention. That
> way, users used to using the "rename" script they've obtained via
> Debian/Ubuntu/Brew/whatever won't be confused if they switch to
> MacPorts. Does this sound fair?

Sure. I added a symlink for rename -> file-rename.

I didn't do that originally because the File::Rename module installs
the script as as `file-rename` and I thought there might be some
differences between it and the original `rename` script, but upon
closer examination it's clearly the same script in slightly different
form.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/