Cleaning up stale dependencies

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sun Feb 26 01:12:49 PST 2012

[Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> (2012-02-25 21:31:30 UTC)]

> On Feb 25, 2012, at 15:19, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
>
> > [Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> (2012-02-25 20:05:51 UTC)]
> >
> >> Later (r83781) inkscape changed to use py27-lxml (or rather,
> changed to give you the option of using python26 or python27) but
> that did not change py26-lxml's registry entry which still records
> the fact that inkscape is its dependent, though that's no longer
> necessarily the case.
> >
> > I suppose there are good reason for doing it that way, but I
> would (perhaps naively) have thought it made more sense to tie
> dependency information to the dependent port, not to the dependency?
>
> I don't know.

I think I can guess, actually. I suspect it is a holdover from the
days when the registry was a bunch of files. Efficiency concerns
might well have dictated the current solution. Perhaps for so long as
the flat file registry remains an option, it has to remain this way.
But surely, the intent is to do away with that option in the future?
At that point, a saner policy should be easy to implement.

- Harald