port variants or different port

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Mon Jan 2 13:31:42 PST 2012

On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 01:38:58PM -0600, Shiyuan wrote:
>    1. I want to write a portfile for install the package auctex for emacs.

First, were you aware that there's already a port for auctex?

> I have two emacs installed, one is Emacs.app(Cocoa), the other is emacs(for
> non-graphical command line). Accordingly, I need to specify different
> configuration for auctex, i.e., set -with-emacs -with-lisp-dir  to
> different locations.  I want both Emacs.app and emacs can find the package
> auctex.

Both emacs and emacs-app (as well as the other available emacsen) should
be configured so that they'll look for lisp packages in
/opt/local/share/emacs/site-lisp. Our elisp packages should probably
all install there.

> In this case, should I write two different port files and give the
> port different names (auctex and auctex-app, for example) or should I make
> one portfile with two different variants? I try the latter, but it seems
> that only one variant is activated, that is, the lisp files only exist in
> one lisp-dir. Are there any other options I can use to make two variants
> activated at the same time?

You can build a port with multiple variants selected but that probably
wouldn't help you in this case. You can't have multiple installations
of the port active at once, different variants or otherwise. You could
probably do that with subports but I'm not sure that's the best
approach here.

>  2. How can I see the the definition of Portfiles for a particular port
> return by "port search xxport"?

`port file <name>` will print the path to the portfile; also,
`port cat <name>` will print the contents.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/