Distributing binaries in macports

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Wed Jan 4 07:46:28 PST 2012

> I'm not sure if there is a way so that I can directly install binaries
> from macports. Right now, macports compiles packages during
> installation, which may take too long to finish and take too much cpu
> time. Would you please let me know if there is such an option
> available? Thanks!

MacPorts will download pre-built binaries if they're available (e.g.,
they're built, the license permits binary distribution).

If you never see attempts made to fetch from packages.macports.org, you
might want to check your macports.conf to ensure none of the
archive-related settings are being set to something outside of the
defaults.