problem with mysql 5 install and configuration

Érico ericomtx at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 06:33:56 PST 2012

It was missing in the pst note the following :

1. when installing mysql with the regular command :
sudo /opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin/mysql_install_db --user=mysql
do you guys create the mysql id ? or it needs to be created before that ...
?

2. my sql id ships already in the OS ? I think not, right ?

3. do I need to add the user manually like in linux OS or should I use dscl
application for it ?

4. I have also installed postgres in my mac :

postgresql83 @8.3.16_0 (active)
  postgresql83-server @8.3.16_0 (active)
  postgresql90 @9.0.5_1 (active)
  postgresql90-server @9.0.5_0 (active)
  postgresql91 @9.1.1_1 (active

5. But I created a postgres id with dscl as follows :
 ericomtx$ sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres
ericomtx$ sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres UserShell /bin/bash
ericomtx$ dscl . -create /Users/postgres RealName "postgres 831"
ericomtx$ sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres RealName "postgres 831"
ericomtx$ sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres UniqueID 8005
ericomtx$ sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres NFSHomeDirectory
/Users/postgres
ericomtx$ sudo dscl . -passwd /Users/postgres  xxxx
ericomtx$ sudo dscl . -create /Users/postgres PrimaryGroupID 20

Was that necessary ? or when installing postgres mcaports also installs a
postgres id ?

6. postgres id ... I can see it using dscl tool :
$ dscl . list /groups

owner
postgres
procmod
procview

7. and using :
$ dscl . list /users

I get :
macports
mysql
nobody
postgres

8. back to mysql ... I have uninstalled mysql from my mac :
bash-3.2# port uninstall mysql5-server @5.1.60_0
bash-3.2# port uninstall mysql5 @5.1.60_0

bash-3.2# port clean --all mysql5-server @5.1.60_0
bash-3.2# port clean --all mysql5 @5.1.60_0

I can see _mysql id is still in /etc/group file :
_mysql:*:74:

but it is not in /etc/passwd ....

How can I fix my environment ?

Regards