problem with mysql 5 install and configuration

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 8 17:12:58 PST 2012

On Jan 8, 2012, at 08:45, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 08:52, Érico <ericomtx at gmail.com> wrote:
> you mean the id was already in the OS ?
>
> even if we don't use mysql ? or do I need to add the user manually like in linux OS or should I use dscl application for it ?
>
> OS X ships with a number of things that it uses in the background, (some version of) mysql being one of them.

OS X does not include MySQL nor use it for anything.
OS X Snow Leopard Server and earlier included MySQL for the server administrator to use as desired, for example if they wanted to host a web site that used MySQL.
OS X Lion Server includes PostgreSQL instead of MySQL, again for the server administrator to use as desired.