MacPorts-2.0.3 can’t be installed on this computer.

Kristen McQuinn mcqu0060 at umn.edu
Wed Jan 11 08:10:18 PST 2012

I am trying to install macports on my computer. I have a previous version
of port installed from OSX 10.4 but have upgraded to 10.6.8. I have
downloaded the new dmg for MacPorts 2.0.3, but have receiving the error
message:

Your existing MacPorts or DarwinPorts installation is too old to be
upgraded by this installer. Please install MacPorts 1.7.1 first.

I can't find 1.7.1 to install.  Any uninstall command I use returns this:

> sudo port -fp uninstall --follow-dependents installed

can't find package darwinports
    while executing
"package require darwinports"
    (file "/opt/local/bin/port" line 42)