Perl 5.14 ad default, and Irssi to use it

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 16 16:45:40 PST 2012

On Jan 16, 2012, at 12:34, Phil Dobbin wrote:

> On 16/1/12 18:15, Timothy Makobu wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to make perl 5.14 the default perl in my system, and to make
>> everything depending on perl accept that version?
>
> Add /opt/local/bin/your/perl/here
>
> to your .bash_profile

Instead, we recommend you install the perl5 port for the variant you want; this will install /opt/local/bin/perl as a symlink to your chosen version. For example, if you want /opt/local/bin/perl to be perl 5.14, run:

sudo port install perl5 +perl5_14

> & run cpan from /opt/local (put an alias to that cpan
> in your .bash_profile too).

We recommend you do not use cpan. Instead, install the perl modules you need using MacPorts. The naming convention we use is that we convert the module name to lowercase, replace "::" with "-", and precede with "p5.x-" for each supported perl version. For example, the perl module "Foo::Bar" would be available in MacPorts for perl 5.14 as "p5.14-foo-bar". If the particular module you want is not in MacPorts yet, request it, or create it. The cpan2port script can be a good way to start making a port for a module.