openssh question 2

Brad Allison brad.allison at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 07:43:55 PST 2012

So I'm now running /opt/local/sbin/sshd provided from openssh via macports.

When I ssh to my mac and provide my username/password it just kicks me out
with a "Connection closed by.." error.

Recorded in the /var/log/secure.log on my mac is :
Jan 18 10:42:36 Brad-Allisons-Mac-Pro sshd[786]: in pam_sm_authenticate():
Failed to determine Kerberos principal name.
Jan 18 10:42:36 Brad-Allisons-Mac-Pro sshd[786]: Failed password for
ballison from 127.0.0.1 port 49629 ssh2
Jan 18 10:42:36 Brad-Allisons-Mac-Pro sshd[786]: fatal: Access denied for
user ballison by PAM account configuration [preauth]

These are the same type errors I was getting with the default provided sshd
from MacOSX.  "Failed to determine Kerberos principal name." errors.

How do you fix this?

-b