strange behavior - PHP question...

William H. Magill magill at me.com
Mon Jan 23 15:26:38 PST 2012

On Jan 23, 2012, at 2:10 AM, Bjarne D Mathiesen wrote:

> William H. Magill wrote:
>> However, when I visit php.net and follow their tutorial, the very first example fails.

>> What happens is "a blank page" -- no source code,  no "hello world," no errors I can find -- nada.
>> php.net implies that something is not configured correctly.
>>
>> But as I mentioned, phpinfo.php, runs fine and outputs (apparently) valid information.
>>
>> Any hints on what/where I should look for ?
>>

> Permission problems on the files and the filepath is the first problem
> I'ld look for. make sure that all folders in the whole path have 'chmod
> a+x' and all files are 'chmod a+r'

Duh …

My default umask is 077 :)

a+r was the problem.  (both the working and non-working files were in the same directory so the path was ok.)

What threw me completely was that I was looking for 404 errors in the access log, and instead was getting 500s.

I guess  that's one I'll have to remember.

Thanks!

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
magill at mcgillsociety.org