audio/sox update

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Jan 24 07:17:31 PST 2012

I'm not in front of a Mac right now so I can't comment on the majority
of these points, however:

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 05:45, Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> wrote:

> - drops the dependency on ffmpeg, which in turn depends on the
>  whole xorg-* world, thus turning a neat little audio app into
>  a monstrous dependency hog; the ffmpeg build is left as a variant

If you do a search for "macports ffmpeg xorg" or "macports ffmpeg x11"
you'll see some discussion on trac about this. The issue is that
ffmpeg depends on dirac which depends on texlive etc. etc. In the end,
variants have already been added to dirac and its deps to disable x11.

I think dropping the default dependency on ffmpeg isn't the right
thing to do here. You can already drop the xorg world by modifying the
variants of ffmpeg deps, so at most I'd think you'd want to add a
variant that removes the ffmpeg dep (+no_ffmpeg).

To save some hassle in managing things on the user end, you can add
"+no_x11" to your ${prefix}/etc/macports/variants.conf

In general, it'd be useful to see your changes as a unified diff (diff
-u) from the current Portfile. It'd also probably be best to file an
issue on trac and then post a message here, to bring it to wider
attention, if you don't see any movement or comments on the trac
issue.

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448