audio/sox update

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Jan 24 09:36:42 PST 2012

2012/1/24 Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz>:

> No; dirac only depends on cppunit.
> (Why would a video codec depend on a typesetting system?)

Yep, as I prefixed my previous message, I'm not at a Mac right now and
was basing my statements on my web search. I shouldn't have stopped
with a 3 year old bug report though. The issue [1] was resolved by
adding a "+doc" variant that excludes many of the dependencies.
Similar variants were added to other ffmpeg deps. As Lenore states,
it's libsdl that is bringing in x11 and which does have a "+no_x11"
variant.

[1]: http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18372

> I have looked further into the ffmpeg functionality of SoX;
> now I want to remove ffmpeg support altogether.
>
> [...]
>
> I tried converting a standard wav into each of these;
> none of them actually works.
>
> [...]
>
> So I don't think ffmpeg brings anything usefull to SoX.
> If anyone is using it successfully, please report.

I know I have sox installed at home, so I'll check in a few hours.

I wouldn't consider these failing conversions as a reason to remove
ffmpeg support though. Rather, if support really is broken, and it's
not due to something specific to MacPorts, it should be reported
upstream.

Regardless, I'm personally not convinced that ffmpeg should be
"demoted" to even a default variant. Maybe it's just symantics. In the
past MacPorts has always strived to limit the number of variants
unless there's a legitimate case for the change.

If ffmpeg conversions are failing, they should be fixed.
If ffmpeg is bringing in an unwanted x11, the variants are there to
reign this in.

Then again, I'm just another user. :-)

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448