audio/sox update

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Wed Jan 25 12:33:22 PST 2012

> I have looked further into the ffmpeg functionality of SoX;
> now I want to remove ffmpeg support altogether.
>
> Compiling ffmpeg into SoX means dependency on
> /opt/local/lib/libavformat.dylib
> /opt/local/lib/libavcodec.dylib
> /opt/local/lib/libavutil.dylib
> (obviously), and the added support for the following
> file formats, as reported by SoX itself:
>
> m4a
> m4b
> mp4
> mpg
> wmv
>
> I tried converting a standard wav into each of these;
> none of them actually works.
[...]
> So I don't think ffmpeg brings anything usefull to SoX.
> If anyone is using it successfully, please report.

> I wouldn't consider these failing conversions as a reason to remove
> ffmpeg support though. Rather, if support really is broken, and it's
> not due to something specific to MacPorts, it should be reported
> upstream.

Yes; I did.

> Regardless, I'm personally not convinced that ffmpeg should be
> "demoted" to even a default variant. Maybe it's just symantics. In the
> past MacPorts has always strived to limit the number of variants
> unless there's a legitimate case for the change.

Well, I am all for --without-ffmpeg, no variants :-)

> If ffmpeg conversions are failing, they should be fixed.

Upstreams say that the writing doesn't work at all,
and as for reading the ffmpeg formats only m4a is
reported to work. So it looks like the only thing
we are getting from havong ffmpeg in sox is being
able to read/play m4a.

> Then again, I'm just another user. :-)

So am I.
I see the maintainer hasn't acted on SoX tickets since 05/2011
https://trac.macports.org/report/16?PORT=sox

	Jan