help

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 14:19:55 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Jirina R Stone
<j.stone at physics.ox.ac.uk>wrote:

> I need to install gfortran for my new computer - Mac OS X 10.6.
>
> gcc47 which supposedly includes gfotran variant does not work.

There's no reason to use gcc47, in my opinion unless you need one of the
bleeding-edge Fortran 2010 standard features that doesn't exist in any of
the older versions.  If you're using it to compile existing software (that
is, not stuff that you have written yourself), there's very little chance
that gfortran from 4.6, 4.5, or even 4.4 will not work, so I would suggest
just building one of those instead.

I have 4.3, 4.4, 4.5, and 4.6 all installed, but not 4.7 so I can't comment
about whether it works or not, or how to get it to work if it does fail.

gfortran comes installed as part of gcc44 and gcc45 (and maybe gcc46, now,
I'm not sure).

Hope this helps,
Jason

> What shall I do?