postgres launch daemon not working

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Jan 31 10:47:16 PST 2012

On Jan 31, 2012, at 12:55 PM, Scott Frankel wrote:
> Google searches suggested that the plist file comes with the server, so I installed postgresql84-server @8.4.10_0, which indeed installed the plist file.  In contrast with installing '84, '84-server took only moments to complete installation.
>
> Invoking launchctl to load the plist file, rebooting or not, then calling `psql` yields the familiar error:
>
> 	psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
> 		Is the server running locally and accepting
> 		connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

did you follow the instructions to create a database instance that the postgresql84-server port printed?

(incidentally, they should be moved to notes instead of post-install so that port notes postgresql84-server would print them again).

It would have said something like this:

To create a database instance, after install do
sudo mkdir -p /opt/local/var/db/postgresql84/defaultdb
sudo chown postgres:postgres /opt/local/var/db/postgresql84/defaultdb
sudo su postgres -c '$/opt/local/lib/postgresql84/bin/initdb -D /opt/local/var/db/postgresql84/defaultdb'

To tweak your DBMS, consider increasing kern.sysv.shmmax
by adding an increased kern.sysv.shmmax .. to /etc/sysctl.conf

> Any suggestions?

I believe if launchd has trouble starting something it will print some error text in /var/log/system.log

--
Daniel J. Luke