Problem installing rpm using macports

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 21:00:26 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM, James Linder <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> On 01/07/2012, at 10:00 PM, macports-users-request at lists.macosforge.orgwrote:
> > I don't want to install an rpm on my mac. I want to build rpm packages on
> > my mac for installation on other CentOS or Redhat machines.
> >

> Brandon I don't know what you really want to do, but what you SAID will
> not work (it may work in a trivial case).

Wim is the OP, not me.

Otherwise, you are correct:  we don't have cross-build facilities in
MacPorts like FreeBSD ports has (and, to be honest, I wouldn't want to rely
on even those to build cross-platform RPMs).

Correct answer here is VirtualBox or Parallels with the target distribution
running as a guest.  (I personally like Parallels a little better, find it
a bit faster than vbox; I'm also told that many people on Lion get kernel
panics from vbox, although as yet I have managed not to trigger that
failure mode.)