ghostscript problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 3 16:26:41 PDT 2012

On Jul 3, 2012, at 18:14, Gideon Simpson wrote:

> On Jul 3, 2012, at 6:13 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> cat /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/ghostscript/ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz
>
> gideon@~$ cat /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/ghostscript/ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/strict.dtd">
> <!-- <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"> -->
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="0.1">
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">
> <TITLE></TITLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY><P></BODY>
> </HTML>

That's unfortunately less helpful than I had hoped. Usually these HTML files will have been generated by "that domain doesn't exist, maybe you'll like these search results" servers (in which case they usually list what URL you had tried to access), or "you must log in to this network" servers (in which case, you must log in to the network). But in your case it tells us nothing at all.

You didn't initially show us which server MacPorts was trying to reach when it got this file, but it must be one of these URLs:

On Jul 3, 2012, at 09:28, Gideon Simpson wrote:

>  http://downloads.ghostscript.com/public/ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz
>  http://distfiles.macports.org/ghostscript/ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz
>  http://aarnet.au.distfiles.macports.org/pub/macports/mpdistfiles/ghostscript/ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz
>  http://her.gr.distfiles.macports.org/mirrors/macports/mpdistfiles/ghostscript/ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz
>  http://jog.id.distfiles.macports.org/macports/mpdistfiles/ghostscript/ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz
>  http://lil.fr.distfiles.macports.org/ghostscript/ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz
>  http://sea.us.distfiles.macports.org/macports/mpdistfiles/ghostscript/ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz
>  http://ykf.ca.distfiles.macports.org/MacPorts/mpdistfiles/ghostscript/ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz
>  http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/ghostscript/ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz

Perhaps there was a temporary problem with the Ghostscript server or one of the MacPorts servers, because I don't see a problem with any of them right now. In any case, please clean and try again:

sudo port clean --all ghostscript
sudo port install ghostscript

As part of the output, MacPorts will show you where it's downloading the distfiles from. If it fails again, show us that URL. Also, try accessing that URL manually in a browser and see if it works there.