ghostscript problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 3 18:17:02 PDT 2012

On Jul 3, 2012, at 18:34, Gideon Simpson wrote:

> gideon@~$ sudo port install ghostscript
> --->  Computing dependencies for ghostscript
> --->  Fetching archive for ghostscript
> --->  Attempting to fetch ghostscript-9.05_2.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/ghostscript
> --->  Fetching distfiles for ghostscript
> --->  Attempting to fetch ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz from http://downloads.ghostscript.com/public/

Ok, so it is trying to download the file from the ghostscript server.

> --->  Attempting to fetch ghostscript-fonts-other-6.0.tar.gz from http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gs-fonts
> --->  Attempting to fetch mappingresources4pdf_2unicode_20091116.tar.Z from http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mapping-for-pdf.adobe
> --->  Attempting to fetch mappingresources4pdf_other_20091116.tar.Z from http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mapping-for-pdf.adobe
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for ghostscript
> Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz
> Error: Checksum (sha1) mismatch for ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz
> Error: Checksum (rmd160) mismatch for ghostscript-9.05.tar.gz
> ***
> The non-matching file appears to be HTML. See this page for possible reasons
> for the checksum mismatch:
> <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MisbehavingServers>
> ***

And the ghostscript server, or a server impersonating it, is delivering an HTML file to you instead.

It still works fine for me, so there's either a local network issue between you and that server, or you're on a restricted network that does not allow you to access that server, or something like that.

You could download the file manually from one of our mirrors, such as:

http://distfiles.macports.org/ghostscript/

And manually place it in the directory MacPorts looks for it in:

/opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/ghostscript/

If you're interested in investigating further why you can't reach the ghostscript server, you could see what its IP address is by running:

dig downloads.ghostscript.com

On my system this returns:

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R4-P3 <<>> downloads.ghostscript.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;downloads.ghostscript.com.	IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
downloads.ghostscript.com. 17591 IN	A	188.121.46.128

;; Query time: 32 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.4.4#53(8.8.4.4)
;; WHEN: Tue Jul  3 20:08:02 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 59

If on your system you get a different IP address than 188.121.46.128, then something on your network is impersonating that server, either deliberately or due to a misconfiguration...