Request to update cppcheck to version to the latest (1.55)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 11 01:54:30 PDT 2012

On Jul 11, 2012, at 03:00, Brendan Simon (eTRIX) wrote:

> How do I request that cppcheck be updated to the latest version (1.55) ??

File a port update ticket in the issue tracker. See the MacPorts Guide for instructions.

> Can this be automated so that it is always at the latest version ??

No. In MacPorts, a maintainer agrees to maintain a port, which means he declares that he will test new versions and submit updates to those versions. We want users to have the assurance that a port was at least tested by one person on one other machine. Automated updates would not provide that assurance.

> It
> seems there are quite a few gaps between previous versions.  e.g. 1.48,
> 1.44, etc.

Then the maintainer of this port has not been actively maintaining it. You could email them and ask if they're still interested in maintaining it. If you would like to take on the responsibility of updating this port, you could ask the maintainer if you could co-maintain the port with them or take it over entirely. If you receive no response from the maintainer, you can file a port abandonment ticket requesting to take the port over.