py27-pil installation

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Wed Jul 11 22:10:28 PDT 2012

> I'm having difficulty with the py27-pil installation for my new machine running OSX 10.7.4.
>
> 1)  macports reports that the installation succeeds:
>
> % sudo port install py27-pil
> Password:
> --->  Computing dependencies for py27-pil
> --->  Cleaning py27-pil
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 100.0%
> --->  No broken files found.

> 2) macports lists the location of the port as being an image file (???):
>
> % port location py27-pil
> Port py27-pil 1.1.7_4 is installed as an image in:
> /opt/local/var/macports/software/py27-pil/py27-pil-1.1.7_4.darwin_11.x86_64.tbz2

   location
     Print the install location of a given port.

This is a bit of a semantic argument: the point where it is installed from is the archive. The installed contents is provided by `port contents py27-pil`.

> 3)  the py27-pil components are either not installed, or not installed in their correct location as revealed in Python's cmd-line interpreter:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named Image
>

> This is the second 10.7.x machine I've used macports to install PIL.  The first was successful without issue.  Is there a step I'm missing?  Any remedial steps I can take to complete/troubleshoot the installation?

Which python did you run?
/opt/local/bin/python2.7 is the one that these supposedly installed for.