Error when trying to start wireshark under X11

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jul 16 00:42:17 PDT 2012

On Jul 16, 2012, at 00:20, Kok-Yong Tan wrote:

> On 7/16/12 00:31, Kok-Yong Tan wrote:
>> It appears that when I changed the default compiler, the "sudo port -v install wireshark configure.compiler=gcc-4.2" command might not have recompiled the ports that wireshark depends on and also compiled a different variant than what I wanted, thus contributing to this problem.  So, I've uninstalled the unwanted variants, leaving the one I want and try the following command in the meantime and let it do its "thing" overnight and will report back on what happens if the build succeeds and when I try to run the results:
>>
>> sudo port -v upgrade wireshark configure.compiler=gcc-4.2
>
> Hmmm...that seems to be only recompiling wireshark itself.

Correct, that's all that it's designed to do.

> Is there a command in MacPorts that will do a clean for *EVERYTHING* that wireshark depends on without wiping out tarballs?  i.e., take the list generated by "port -v rdeps wireshark" and run "port clean <portname>" on every individual portname?  Then I can recompile the whole tree from scratch.

Sure, that would be:

sudo port clean rdepof:wireshark

Note that would only clean them; it would not uninstall them. Thus MacPorts would not try to rebuild them. If you're wanting to rebuild them all with a different compiler (which as far as I know shouldn't be necessary) then you could:

sudo port -f uninstall rdepof:wireshark

This will likely break many of the other ports that still remain installed, until you reinstall those dependencies.