Error when trying to start wireshark under X11

Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia jeremyhu at macports.org
Mon Jul 16 12:59:06 PDT 2012

On Jul 15, 2012, at 21:31, Kok-Yong Tan wrote:

>> Thanks for the info.  I went into .bashrc and found an explicit setting for the DISPLAY environment variable which I ripped out.  Then I restarted X11 and did "sudo wireshark" whereupon X11 crashed and took wireshark with it.

What version of XQuartz? OS X? Can you provide the crash log?

>> (wireshark:344): Gdk-WARNING **: shmget failed: error 12 (Cannot allocate memory)
>> wireshark: Fatal IO error 35 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server /tmp/launch-vuNxLR/:0.
>> zeus:~ kytan$

Perhaps a bug in MIT-SHM ...

> It appears that when I changed the default compiler, the "sudo port -v install wireshark configure.compiler=gcc-4.2"

Why did you do that?  What problem are you trying to fix by forcing that compiler to be used?  What Xcode version do you have?  gcc-4.2 is *ancient* and should only be used as a last resort, or if you're on an old OS (in which case I'd recommend installing a newer compiler with MacPorts and using it instead).