Build Petsc with Shared Libraries

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 17 21:36:58 PDT 2012

On Jul 17, 2012, at 19:06, Romain Jolivet wrote:

> I would like to build petsc using macports (because it is easy), and I would need the shared libraries option to be on.
> I created a variant on the petsc port, adding:
>
> variant shared description {build with shared libraries} {
>     configure.args-delete   --with-shared-libraries=0
>     configure.args-delete   --with-pic=fPIC
>     configure.args-append   --with-shared-libraries=1
> }
>
> I have to delete --with-pic=fPIC, otherwise it does not run. Then, it configures and builds fine, but when macports checks on the created files, it complains, and restarts the whole process (and does it over and over again):
>
> It says:
>
> --->  Updating database of binaries: 100.0%
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors: 100.0%
> --->  Found 3 broken file(s), matching files to ports
> --->  Found 1 broken port(s), determining rebuild order

And which port does it determine is broken? petsc?

> I don't know how to modify what macport is checking (and probably, I should not). Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

You can turn off the rev-upgrade feature if you want. To turn it off just for one port installation, you could use the "--no-rev-upgrade" flag. (It must go after the words "port install" (or "port upgrade") and before the name of the port.) Or you can turn it off entirely in macports.conf.