git bash_completion does not work - solved (?)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Jul 21 14:29:23 PDT 2012

Hello,

On 2012-07-21 22:57, Rodolfo Aramayo wrote:
> I have taken the freedom of summarizing the "proper" way of
> configuring Bash as per this discussion

You are right that there are two possibilities of adjusting your environment to
use /opt/local/bin/bash in your terminal instead of the bash version shipped
with Mac OS X:

 a) change the login shell
 b) change the preferences of your terminal emulator

Note that changing the login shell is more invasive as it requires changing
system files. Also, in case bash from MacPorts ever becomes unusable, it's
easier to recover if you still have a working login shell (recovery is possible
in either case). Thus, I recommend to switch to bash by editing the preferences
of your terminal emulator, which can easily be reverted by choosing "Login
shell" again.

Detailed instructions on the configuration of Terminal.app/iTerm2.app are in the
wiki in the howto section:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/bash-completion#Step3:UsebashfromMacPortsinyourterminal

Rainer