[git] turn off localization

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sat Jul 28 07:33:38 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 01:19:22PM +0200, heapifyman wrote:
> is there a way to turn off localization for a specific port? In my
> case git output on the command line is in German but I would like to
> have the original English output.

Why don't you just export LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8 or LANG=en_US.UTF-8 to
switch your terminal output to english? You could also write a wrapper
for git to do this, if you want to keep your other messages in german.

> How do I do that? Delete the file
> /opt/local/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/git.mo ?

Doing that might lead to warnings and problems when trying to uninstall
or upgrade git.

--
Clemens Lang