-p considered problematic (was Re: how to proceed past errors?)

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Jul 31 07:55:45 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia
<jeremyhu at macports.org> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 2012, at 09:41, "Daniel J. Luke" <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:
>
>> From the man page:
>>
>>     -p       Despite any errors encountered, proceed to process multiple
>>              ports and commands.
>
> That is *very* problematic.  Don't do it unless you really, really, really know what it implies.

Why is this considered problematic? My understanding is that this
won't allow a port to be installed if it's dependencies fail, but will
continue to build as many requested ports as is possible.

ie: port-a depends on port-b, port-c, and port-d

> port install port-a

would install port -b, port-c fails, and port stops

> port -p install port-a

would install port-b, port-c fails, install port-d, doesn't install
port-a because deps aren't satisfied.

I've been using this flag in an automated process for quite some time.
What problems should I be aware of with using this switch?

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu

pgp b2c9d448