-p considered problematic (was Re: how to proceed past errors?)

Arno Hautala arno at alum.wpi.edu
Tue Jul 31 09:28:04 PDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia
<jeremyhu at macports.org> wrote:

> IIRC, the OP was talking about upgrade, not install.  So in your case, you would have:
>
> port -p upgrade upgrade port-a
>
> This is problematic because port-a will be upgraded even through port-d failed.  If port-a was rev-bumped specifically because of port-d to force a rebuild after the port-d install, this will thwart that.  Luckily, rev-upgrade now exists to work around such issues these days, but I still do not recommended '-p upgrade'

Ah, good point. So if '-p upgrade' causes such a problem, upgraded
port-a, outdated and incompatible port-d, does rev-upgrade leave the
now broken port-a in place if port-d and port-a can't be properly
built? Or does it leave the broken port?

I've watched rev-upgrade before, but I can't remember if it uninstalls
the broken ports before rebuilding or if it only uninstalls them when
the rebuild succeeds.

Thanks,
--Arno

arno  s  hautala    /-|   arno at alum.wpi.edu