Installing macports packages from binary

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 1 10:27:47 PDT 2012

On Jun 1, 2012, at 11:34, Peng Yu wrote:

> One problem with macports is that it take a long time to get the
> packages compiled. If I don't a whole system selfupdate and upgrade,
> it can take hours. This is unbearable. I think that there are only
> limited number of Mac OSes. Is possible to add a new feature to allow
> installation from binary directly?

This feature was already added in MacPorts 2.0. Here is the announcement:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-announce/2012-May/000021.html

However there are restrictions on when it can be used.

* OS X 10.6 or 10.7
* prefix /opt/local
* applications_dir /Applications
* frameworks_dir /opt/local/Library/Frameworks
* build_arch x86_64
* default variants
* the port must indicate its license
* the license of the port must allow distribution
* the licenses of all dependencies of the port must be compatible
* the buildbot must not have encountered an error while building the package

To see what packages we have available:

http://packages.macports.org/

To see what our buildbots are doing:

http://build.macports.org/